Friday 2 January 2015

Firssst falterring foottstepps

Just to prove I can – up to a point – here‘s my first effort at Harmless Droidery.   And I take as my starting point a bit of silent editing on the part of the Beeb...
<rantette intensity="The heat of a million Suns" point="none, the battle‘s lost">
NOT, gaawd help us, on behalf of the Beeb – WOW (Why oh why) do people find the two so easy to confuse?
</rantette>
When the railway fares went up again today, with the inexorability of <inexorable-thing> this morning, some spoke (that‘s my home-grown PC version of ‘spokesman‘, on the not entirely solid analogy of chair) said that ‘any price rise was to be erm ... regrettable, but <blah-blah-blah>‘

<digression>
The notion that English people abroad speaking to foreign people just speak English more slowly and loudly seems to  me analogous to these spokes too. And it‘s a pleasing coincidence that one of the Spanish words for such a person – portavoz – means ‘megaphone‘.
</digression>
In the midday replay of this clip the Beeb‘s engineers had saved a millisecond or two by repairing the anacoluthon (that‘s a grown-up word for ‘whoops, you can edit that can‘t you?‘, or – to use the word favoured by David Crystal blend – (when the syntactic engine jumps the points‘, as it were).  They deleted the ‘to be erm..‘ and left the ‘any price rise was regrettable‘. I doubt if iPlayer will have preserved the evidence; I  guess the spliced version is THE TRUTH from now on.

Finally, I hope to do some Bluetoothery. Gimme a sec... Nope, phone‘s charging. So I‘ll improve the shining hour by showing off the  camera app, not to  mention the very cool slip-case Daughter Christmas gave me:


Now about that Bluetooth thing, my phone couldn‘t hack it. It‘s paired  OK, but it needs thpaathe [that's /θpeɪθ/]. I could  probably fix it by  deleting some stuff, but  life‘s too  short. So, with the deepest of apologies for the Close Quotes (which I suppose are a feature of this mobile stuff – Mobility justifies barbarity; discuss) I‘ll sign off.

b
Update 2015.01.04.17:00  – Added IPA bit in red [I haven't yet learnt to hack this sort of thing in Android.]



Mammon When Vowels Get Together V5.2: Collection of Kindle word-lists grouping different pronunciations of vowel-pairs. Now complete (that is, it covers all vowel pairs –  but there's still stuff to be done with it; an index, perhaps...?) 



And here it is: Digraphs and Diphthongs . The (partial) index has an entry for each vowel pair that can represent each monophthong phoneme. For example AE, EA and EE are by far the most common pairs of vowels used to represent the /i:/ phoneme, but there are eight other possibilities. The index uses colour to give an idea of how common a spelling is, ranging from bright red to represent the most common to pale olive green to represent the least common.

I'm thinking about doing a native iBook version in due course, but for now Mac users can use Kindle's own (free) simulator.

Also available at Amazon: When Vowels Get Together: The paperback.

And if you have no objection to such promiscuity, Like this

Freebies (Teaching resources:  
nearly 48,200 views  and over 6,500 downloads to date**. They're very eclectic - mostly EFL and MFL, but one of the most popular is from KS4 History, dating from my PGCE, with over 2,400 views and nearly 1,000 downloads to date. So it's worth having a browse.)

** This figure includes the count of views for a single resource held in an account that I accidentally created many years ago.





No comments:

Post a Comment